Thursday, July 26, 2007

Week 2


July 22nd- Sunday
Working World
I’ve been here a week: my week-versary. It was a quieter day. Passengers got off and housekeeping was done in a haste to be ready for the next set. Learned how to make the beds here and am not looking forward to ever doing any of them. ugh.
Becca has her week off right now. This means I get the room to myself and there’s one person less in the galley. Now Kev has to do breakfast and not just hide in his room. He’s also got me helping in the kitchen. I’m learning all these new things. It’s cool until he’s in a hurry and asks me to do things I don’t know how to do. Today it was to peel these huge shrimp and cut them a certain way. Cool. Except for I didn’t know how. He gave me a blank face. Dude! I’m sorry I didn’t go to culinary school like all your assistants! Other than the harried moments he’s awesome. Put me in charge of cutting up mangoes for a “tropical fruits salsa” for a halibut entrée. Calls me señorita.

City World
We docked in Ketchikan, an island and a popular stop for cruise boats. More tourists. Argh. Walked around a bit with Mario in the rain. We went to a quaint little bar/restaurant. You can still smoke inside buildings in Alaska. This made Mario so excited that he started smoking again once he started working here after more than 6 yrs of not smoking. I like seeing those who smoke treated like humans after watching smokers in Washington cramped into “smoking lounges” or alleys like cattle.
Next time we dock here I’m abandoning the ship and going as far away as possible from the invasion of cruise ship people. It only seems right after all my complaining and carrying on about cruise ships back home.
I love walking by descendants of the Tlingits and catching a snippet of their beautiful language.

Water World
This evening the water was choppy. No big deal, but for this little boat it was. Everybody was walking around like a drunkard and we were afraid stuff would start falling over. I took some precautions: took the racks of the wheely, made sure all the pots over my head were in an upright position… it’s kind of fun to carry heavy loads of dishes while the boat is lunging from left to right, front to back constantly. I think it scared Mario a bit and I wanted to make fun of him. I watched the water in our wake become an angry pack of wolves instead of the chasing dogs I’m used to seeing.

The Friend called me the other day and I missed it. Damn it! so few opportunities to speak with those I love and I miss them.
I’m getting closer to Elaine. I like her lots.
I like standing on the aft (back) and watching the water and passing views when no one else is there. Having time alone is becoming more and more of a luxury.

July 23rd- Monday
Word of the day: Procrastination. I didn’t want to use it a single time. The servers are catching on to our word collection and now ask which one it is. Between Mario and I we’ve been coming up with them.
Finally was able to talk to Cousin. Finally! Her phone had ended up in boyfriend’s pocket the day he left for Africa. In London he had to ship it back to her. Of all places to be, his pocket! Also talked to my Papi which was also good.
Today is Ana’s birthday. Tried calling her but all my numbers for her are no longer right. Argh it was so frustrating! Can’t talk to my best friend from home on her own birthday! Bad friend!
It’s also R.’s birthday. But there is nothing to be done about that. Not a phone number to be found and internet is nowhere in sight for a brief email. It’s all beginning to seem like it was a dream. I don’t like it.

Working World
Katie no longer intimidates me. She is funny, outgoing, and has a lot of character. I just had to get through it. We conversed a bit today. It made me happy. Also hung out with Elaine and Tyler after we all got off work. “I’m so glad you came to this boat,” she said. My entire day became brighter and my soul warmed.

No comments: